Wed, 29 Jul|
Gather Bookclub - Session 1
Gather's first book club session!
Time & Location
29 Jul 2020, 19:00 – 20:30 BST
About The Event
We are soon to kick off our Gather book club, lead by one of our fab community leaders, Kathleen. Our first session will focus on three autobiographies of inspiring women.
Are you ready for it?
The three we will be discussing are
- Becoming by Michelle Obama,
- Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg and
- We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
In our upcoming discussion we will discuss common themes and their different approaches, experiences, and viewpoints. In particular;
- What is their stance on feminism and how has it changed over time?
- How did they challenge preconceived ideas and create opportunities for themselves?
- How did their experience as an outsider influence their careers?
- What was the role of family in their journey?
- How did particular challenges or defining moments shape each of their lives?
We will also discuss how these women and their words have impacted, changed, and inspired us.
In addition to the books each of the women have given talks on their books so we recommend you check them out. Michelle Obama is on Netflix and both Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie and Sheryl Sandberg are on TED talks.
Finally, if you know of a book that fits in with the theme, please bring it along to enrich the discussion. We are always looking for the next great read.
Please support your public library (if possible) and your local independent or second hand book shops. Your community and our planet need you. I hope you can join us on July 25!